Farre claims brother of a Barcelona player has signed no-confidence petition against Bartomeu
Jordi Farre has claimed the brother of a Barcelona first-team player has signed the petition of a vote of no confidence against current president Josep Bartomeu.
Only 16,520 signatures were needed for the petition calling for Bartomeu to stand down as president but 18,090 have been collected and officially ratified.
And presidential candidate Farre has stated that among the signees was a close relation of one of the members of Ronald Koeman’s current squad at Camp Nou.
‘I am aware that someone is glad in the dressing room,’ Farre told Spanish outlet Cadena Ser.
‘Without going further, we had the signature of the brother of a player in the first-team squad at Barcelona.’
In other comments made to Catalan language network RAC1 via Mundo Deportivo, Farre – a promoter of the vote of no confidence against Bartomeu – explained his plan is for the motion itself to take place on Saturday 25 October, the day of the first Clasico against Real Madrid of the season.
Farre also confirmed that he is willing to let it run into the Sunday too, and that he would like the question asked to be the same as the last motion: ‘Are you in favour of a vote of no confidence against Bartomeu?’
The 57-year-old current president has been under immense pressure this summer following a trophyless season for the Catalan giants, culminating in the 8-2 Champions League humiliation by Bayern Munich, and a very public falling-out with club talisman Lionel Messi.
The club also threw away their lead at the top of La Liga to Zinedine Zidane’s Real before being annihilated in the Champions League quarter-finals by eventual champions Bayern to top off a miserable season.
Fans are equally as angry about matters off the pitch, with Messi attempting to force an exit from the club this summer, citing the leadership at the top of the club as a factor in his desire to leave.
The financial impact of Covid-19 has also brought matters off the pitch to the fore, with reports suggesting players have been asked to take a further round of pay cuts after a loss of £88million was announced.
This comes after first-team players had already agreed to a 70 per cent wage reduction to help those in other roles at the club keep their jobs.
Farre, Lluis Fernandez Ala and Victor Font have all said they will stand when elections next take place, and former president Joan Laporta could join them.
What do you think about this song?
We want to hear from you all.
Drop your comments